GVDM Attorneys is a registered Company which specialises in debt collection. GVDM Attorneys is committed to ensuring the security of the information it holds. Information security can be defined as protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data and information.
- Confidentiality: protecting sensitive information from unauthorised disclosure.
- Integrity: safeguarding the accuracy and completeness of information.
- Availability: ensuring that information is available to users when required.
We strive to keep your information safe and secure. We are committed to compliance as in the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)
2. Personal Information We Collect
As a debt collection company, the information we collect aids in the collection of outstanding debt in line with the contracts consumers have signed with our clients. This information is lawfully provided to us by our clients. We only collect information for this purpose.
Personal information that we collect includes:
- Identifying Information – Name, date of birth, ID numbers, gender, titles.
- Contact Information – Phone numbers and E-mail addresses.
- Address Information – Residential and Postal addresses.
- Financial Information – Bank account details, payment history, balances on outstanding debts, etc
- Employment Information – Where you work and the contact number and address’ of your employer.
3. How We Collect Personal Information.
- Information collected from our clients for the purpose of fulfilling contractual obligations with the consumer:
GVDM Attorneys’ clients lawfully provide us with information for the purpose of collecting outstanding debt as per the contractual agreement with the consumer. Clients have the right to recovery in terms of the Debt Collectors Act 114 of 1998.
- Information received from Credit bureaus:
We may receive additional information from registered credit bureaus to aid us in debt recovery process or for reporting purposes.
- Information received directly from consumers:
In the spirit of keeping personal information accurate and correct, you may be contacted directly to verify information we have received from our clients and provide us with information on a voluntary basis. This is done through telephone calls and e-mails.
4. How We Use Your Personal Information.
Your information is used in the following ways:
- To recover debt on behalf of our clients as mandated by our service level agreements.
- To communicate with consumers and keep record of communication with consumers.
- To comply with regulating authorities and statutory obligations.
- To report account information to registered credit bureaus as regulated by the law.
- To assist with business operations as contracted with clients in the aid business operations such as fraud prevention, debt collection and performance reports to clients.
- To assist with any other purposes relevant to our business activities, provided they are lawful.
5. Do We Share Your Personal Information?
Your information is lawfully shared with:
- With employees of GVDM Attorneys for the purpose of carrying-out their duties.
- With registered credit bureaus for the purpose lawfully permitted reporting of account information.
- With third parties who aid us in the collection process where lawful and appropriate, such as tracers.
6. How GVDM Attorneys Keep Your Personal Information Safe and Secure.
The GVDM Attorneys Information Security Policy and procedures have been formulated in conjunction with the International Standard ISO/IEC 27001:2013 “Information technology – Code of practice for information security management”. By using ISO/IEC 27001:2013 to help assess, manage, and review risks, GVDM Attorneys demonstrates its commitment to information security and confidentiality.
GVDM Attorneys’ security policy aims to ensure that:
All systems, electronic and paper, are properly assessed for security:
- Computer systems are properly maintained and monitored.
- Confidentiality, integrity, and availability are maintained.
- Staff are aware of their responsibilities, roles, and accountability.
- Procedures to detect, report and resolve security breaches are in place.
- Procedures for enabling business continuity are in place.
- Procedures for regular review of the policy, procedures and infrastructure are in place.
All employees are trained on the security policy and contractually obliged to follow the rules and regulations as pertained in our Information Security Policy.
7. How Long We Store Your Personal Information.
Your personal information is only held for as long as it is necessary and required to provide services to our clients or as required by the law. Your personal information is kept securely on our servers and where necessary in a paper-based format in a secure facility.
The length of retention is specified in GVDM Attorneys’ retention policy.
8. How You Access Your Personal Information.
Consumers have the right to access information we hold about them. Should you wish to access this information, please call our offices on 013 492 0421 or email us at email@example.com. You will be talked through the steps of accessing your information. Please note that before any information is released, you will need to prove your identity. This if for safety reasons.
9. How To Amend Incorrect Personal Information Stored by GVDM Attorneys.
Consumers have the right to amend, update or delete the personal information we hold about them. As when accessing your personal information, steps will be followed to prove your identity before any changes are made.
Should you wish to update your information or if you require further information, please contact our offices on 013 492 0421 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Right To Object:
In terms of the POPI Act (POPIA) section 18. (h) (iv) you have the right to object to the processing of personal information as referred to in section 11(3) of the POPIA.
11. Right To Complain:
In terms of the POPI Act (POPIA) section 18. (h) (v) you have the right to lodge a complaint to the Information Regulator (South Africa) (IRSA). The IRSA contact details are:
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O Box 31533
Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
12. Amendments to This Notice:
Please note that we may amend this notice from time to time. Please check our website periodically to inform yourself of any changes.